Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Columba Chaplet

History:
Created and submitted for use by Rev. Rwth Ashton
This prayer is based on a portion of Psalm 34, the one Columba was copying on the day of his death, 9 June 597. Adomnan, his hagiographer, shares the account that Columba stopped at the tenth verse. The cruciform bead prayer is from a hymn attributed to Columba (Altus prosator). The exit cross is Columba's final command and blessing to his community, spoken on the night of his death.

Medals/Beads:
C  X  0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Method:
On the Cross: 
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and the ears of the Lord are open to their cry. (Ps. 34:15) Invitatory Bead: 
Come, children, and listen to me; I will teach you to revere the Lord. (Ps. 34:11)
Cruciform Bead:
The Trinity be praised with the singing of hymns rung out with prayer; with thousands of lively angels dancing; with the four living creatures, full of eyes, along with the twenty-four happy elders, throwing down their crowns at the feet of the lamb of God; and all unite in the triple chorus: Holy, Holy, Holy! Let us fly at once to meet the Trinity-remaining in glory forever and ever. (St. Columcille)
Week Beads: 
1st: At all times I will bless the Lord, whose praise shall ever be in my mouth. I will glory in the Lord; let the humble hear and rejoice.
2nd: Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord; let us exalt God's name together. I sought the Lord, who answered me and delivered me out of all my terror.
3rd: Look upon the Lord and be radiant, and let not your faces be ashamed.
4th: I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me and saved me from all my troubles. The angel of the Lord encompasses those who revere God, and the Lord will deliver them.
5th: Taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are they who take refuge in the Lord!
6th: Revere the Lord, you holy ones, for those who revere the Lord lack nothing.
7th: The young lions lack and suffer hunger, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
(Ps. 34:1-10)
Exit Cross:  
I give you, my children, these final words: Be at peace with one another, bound together by mutual and unfeigned love. If you do this, God, who gives strength to the righteous, will bless you: and I, abiding with God, shall intercede for you. Not only will God provide all things needed for this present life, but God shall prepare for you the blessings of eternity. (St. Columcille)

No comments:

Post a Comment