Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chaplet of St. Monica

History:
Based on Lectionary Lessons.

Medals/Beads:
C  X  0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Method:
On the Cross: 
She was deeply distressed and prayed to the LORD, and wept bitterly. She made this vow: "O LORD of hosts, if only you will look on the misery of your servant, and remember me, and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a male child, then I will set him before you as a nazirite until the day of his death. He shall drink neither wine nor intoxicants, and no razor shall touch his head." In due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, "I have asked him of the LORD." - 1 Samuel 1:10-11,20
Invitatory: 
O Lord, who through spiritual discipline strengthened your servant Monnica to persevere in offering her love and prayers and tears for the conversion of her husband and of Augustine their son: Deepen our devotion, we pray, and use us in accordance with your will to bring others, even our own kindred, to acknowledge Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever.
Cruciform: 
I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice and call on the name of the LORD. - Psalm 116:17
Week Beads:
1st: I kept my faith, even when I said, "I am greatly afflicted";
2nd: "I said in my consternation, "Everyone is a liar.
3rd: What shall I return to the LORD for all his bounty to me?
4th: I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD,
5th: I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.
6th: Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful ones.
7th: O LORD, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds.
--Psalm 116:10-16
Final Cross: 
Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went with him. As he approached the gate of the town, a man who had died was being carried out. He was his mother’s only son, and she was a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town. When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, ‘Do not weep.’ Then he came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, ‘Young man, I say to you, rise!’ The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. Fear seized all of them; and they glorified God, saying, ‘A great prophet has risen among us!’ and ‘God has looked favorably on his people!’ This word about him spread throughout Judea and all the surrounding country. - Luke 7:11-17

No comments:

Post a Comment